Linux, C++ and other Tortures

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Installing Ubuntu on my new HP G62-a55SF

Posted on 14:54 by Unknown

I recently bought a new laptop (see Fig.1) and of course, the first thing I did when I just arrived home was to format it and install a Ubuntu. I tried to perform this process even before to run Windows 7 for the first time but unfortunately it was not possible. Why? Because HP G62 series has an incompatibility with the Linux power administration, making the installation fails (black screen) even before the first welcome screen.

Fig.1 My new laptop

Because of that, in order to discard possible manufacture defects, I needed to run the pre-installed Windows OS and check that the laptop was ok.

To avoid the mentioned problem we need to install our Linux distribution with the option “ACPI=off” checked. But... If the installation fails even before of the first welcome screen, How could we mark this option?

Well, that is exactly what this post aims to explain so let's go!!

A. Prerequisites

An Ubuntu Distribution. With 4Gb RAM and a microprocessor I choose Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and 64-bit you can find the latest versions here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

B. Proccess

    1. Run your computer with the bootable Linux distribution inserted on the CD/USB

    2. Press F6 several times until the following screen appears (Fig.2):

      Fig.2 Screen After F6


    3. Press ESC, It will bring you to the main screen (Fig.3):

       Fig.3 Screen After ESC


    4. Press F6 and the “Other Options” combo will expand. Then press ENTER over the “acpi=off” line. The result should looks like this (Fig.4):

      Fig.4 Check acpi=off

    5. Finally press ESC (main screen) and select “Install Ubuntu”. An interactive, guided, and extremely intuitive process will guide you over the Installation.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Unit Testing with CppUnit and Eclipse
    As I already mentioned in one of my previous posts, CppUnit is a powerful framework that allows us to automatize the unit testing execution....
  • Shared Libraries with Eclipse on 86_64 (64 bits) systems
    If you followed my previous post  http://linuxtortures.blogspot.com/2012/02/shared-libraries-with-eclipse.html where I explained how to deve...
  • Using C++ Libraries from Python
    It's been a while since my last post but here I am back with a very interesting post about Wrapping C++ libraries to be used in python. ...
  • Configuring Ubuntu on my new HP G62-a55SF
    As usual, after the Operative System installation, there are some drivers to configure and some programs and features to install. Comparing ...
  • Ubuntu on the Cloud
    It has been a long time since the last post but I hope that this interesting post will compensate the wait. Today we are going to talk a...
  • Virtualization with VirtualBox
    VirtualBox is an open source software virtualization system. For those not really familiarized with virtualization technologies I will sa...
  • Image processing with OpenCV
    Hi again!! Following the format of my previous posts I will try to show step by step how to install and configure the OpenCV libraries, one ...
  • Hello World!!
    Hi everybody, Today at work I have been trying to develop a little application with the idea of generating a simple xml including a set of ...
  • Continuous Integration with Jenkins, Mercurial and CppUnit on C++
    Hello again!! Today I am going to talk about Jenkins, an open source tool that enables the continuous integration and delivery for our proje...
  • Installing Ubuntu on my new HP G62-a55SF
    I recently bought a new laptop (see Fig.1) and of course, the first thing I did when I just arrived home was to format it and install a Ub...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2012 (9)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (1)
  • ►  2011 (7)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ▼  2010 (3)
    • ▼  December (3)
      • Configuring Ubuntu on my new HP G62-a55SF
      • Installing Ubuntu on my new HP G62-a55SF
      • Hello World!!
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile